Post-Op IVDD dog

Discussion related to the nervous system (spinal cord, brain, or nerves), or other odd neurological issues as they pertain to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Post-Op IVDD dog

Post by lehughes »

I'm seeing an IVDD dog, had surgery at Vet School, they said was deep pain negative & she should just get him a cart. I've been seeing him & so has a vet that does acupuncture (and she feels she is getting a response to deep pain). We are both seeing good progress - he demo's hip flexion B & stifle flexion on RH all without tail stim - with tail stim in the water I can get him to march like a little soldier - when stim is stopped he can hold the pattern on RH for 30-45 seconds & about 20-30 on LH. The issue we are having is that he seems to be stuck in hypersensitivity in his hind paws to the level that he freaks out if he even thinks we are going to touch them. I have been doing sensory treatment to them, the vet is doing acupuncture to them & the family has been good about doing a home sensory program to try to get them to "normalize". Since we were concerned that it was going to impede our progress with him the vet prescribed gabapentin & this has helped, although we all have given his paws a bit of a break too. Any suggestions? I'm sure I have left out details that you need to know so ask away! ;-)

Thanks!! J

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Post-Op IVDD dog

Post by lehughes »

Interesting case. So he must have sensation if he is acting Weird about it! What level was the injury / surgery? Are you doing laser (and is acup being done) on the lumbar spine to address the nerve roots? Is the hypersensitivity localized to the foot? Or how far down the leg does it start? Both hind paws you say?
I’m thinking I’d do more at the spine to desensitize the nerve roots. (Good sign actually!!!!) Tail pulls, skin pulls, traction, mobs, +++Laser, show the owners acupressure in the area so the treatment can continue at home. Home Program: Hot pack / cold pack (to change circulation patterns) - 1 min of ea x 10 mins.

That’s off the top of my head anyways. Sounds like a cool case!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES