Chondrodystrophy

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
Kriszty

Chondrodystrophy

Post by Kriszty »

Hi again Laurie,
Hope you are well. I am back with another problem dog (mine, of course).
14w old mainly papillon. Rescue dog (I fostered his mother and Foster failed with him).
Heaps of toy and food drive and was hoping to do agility. However, just noticed
he appears to be chondrodysplastic :( Found a pic of his sire and he is too (bitch
is a pap and normal). So I know this can be linked to IVDD and bad news, and I have sent dna off for CDDY testing. Fingers crossed he doesn't have that. But I would like your
thoughts on what to do with his legs. I know you can do Sx on them, but I've been pretty burnt by surgeons recently and not sure this is the best plan. I'm thinking mobilise the elbow and the carpus, what do you recommend? He trots with his elbows quite lateral.
Pics :
received_154569404125093.jpeg
received_154569404125093.jpeg (153.01 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
received_748955503503150.jpeg
received_748955503503150.jpeg (145.5 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
received_563754028861612.jpeg
received_563754028861612.jpeg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
He's a really nice pup and want to do what's best for him, not sports I am assuming.
Thanks!
Kriszty

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Chondrodystrophy

Post by lehughes »

Hi Kriszty,

Well...

Those forearms don't quite look bad enough for surgery (i.e. premature closure of the ulnar physis). They sort of just look like chondrodystropic legs.

So, if that's the case, then why not just tone down the challenge? Rally-Obedience. Scent detection. Chase-ability.
"No" to competitive agility... but perhaps there's a non-competitive level where he can jump no more than 4 inches, or is there a way to put him into "specials" sooner than later? OR just do "tunnels and weaves" or "gamblers", etc?

Things to think about anyways...

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Kriszty

Post by Kriszty »

Thanks,
Yes I agree, I don't think I will do Sx. Is there anything from a rehab POV Tx wise yij would recommend? Thanks

David Lane

Post by David Lane »

On one hand, I agree with the "no to agility", but that opinion is tempered by knowing a corgi that has competed for team Canada at multiple agility world events and is doing just fine.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

Kriszty

Post by Kriszty »

Yes, and the little Corgi x BC that just beat everyone at crufts, aged 10..
I guess I was concerned more that he looks like he does have a slight bend in his radius, rather than just short legs bigger body.
Think I will wait and see how tall he grows, if he stays under 27.1cm he only has to jump 20cm which might be doable..
Thanks for your thoughts!