MSI/MSS

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Re: MSI/MSS

Post by lehughes »

Knuckling is not at all what one would be expecting.

Are there any other neuro-type signs and symptoms? Reflexes?

Knuckling is odd...

What all are you doing for rehab at this stage?

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

David Lane

Post by David Lane »

I did some asking around of the various surgical gurus to see what their current thoughts are, just to make sure I am out of step (the fact that we don't find that surgical implant placement is required does create a bias in my perception that merits periodic reflection on). Its worth noting that one of the authors of the JAVMA paper (Sherman Canapp) does not recommend implant placement unless there is gross instability. He is a fan of radiofrequency (using a spot technique, different from the originally reported paint brush technique) combined with regenerative medicine. However, at least as far as advocating RF goes, he appears to be a lone voice in the woods as far as I can tell.

The other surgeons I talked to all seem to be in the camp that implant placement should be reserved for cases with substantial instability, and that conservative Tx can achieve good results and therefore should be the first line treatment for most cases. Also, anecdotally, good athletic function can be achieved with either option.

I'm not sure this helps your situation, but I thought it was worth discussing anyway. How is your dog doing? Is the knucking resolved?
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

Kriszty

Post by Kriszty »

Thanks for the replies.
She is doing so-so. Still intermittently 1-3/5 lame and still keeping the shoulder very neutral, not wanting to put it into extension.
No knuckling anymore.
When passively stretching it she will allow me to stretch into full shoulder extension but won’t do it herself even when running.
I feel this is due to the biceps being cut and not the MSS stabilisation as the other dogs I have rehabbed after this procedure have not done this.
I also put arthramid into her shoulder due to the OA found.
Rehab wise she is doing (back legs raised):
Individual front leg lifts x20
Side stepping x 20
Resistance- pushing against the shoulder x 30secs x 4/ shoulder
Push ups x 20
Step ups (front legs)x 10 each side
Hop sits onto stepper x 6
Play now hold 10secs x 4 (back legs up)
She does this 5days/week
Also lying on PEMF Mat at night when I do her mobes.
I hope she continues to improve as very disappointed in the outcome so far.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Is there anywhere that you can jog her down hill?
I know - sounds crazy... but it might be a way to force ACTIVE shoulder extension functionally!

(I also like walking on a treadmill backwards, but it's less 'natural'!)

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES