Crooked puppy tail

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Crooked puppy tail

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie:
I am hoping that you might have 2 minutes for a question about a puppy with a deviated tail. I remember when I did my internship with you, you examined a litter of puppies to determine who had MSK issues and who would make good breeding/show dogs in the future. It was great to see that MSK flaws could be picked up so young.
Anyhow, last week I saw an 11 wk old male Rat Terrier (cute little thing), bought by a lady who has owned, shown and bred Rat Terriers for awhile. His cropped tail (cropped about 1/3 its length) is chronically deviated to the left and kept primarily in a ventral position. The pup can occasionally move the tail into a normal position, but only for a couple of seconds. He also chews frequently at the tip of the tail. The left pelvis is very slightly in a dorsocranial position, no obvious discomfort.
I have done AP grade 2 mobes on the left iliac wing and generic joint gapping and taught owner to do the mobes. Also digital stimulation on the right perineal region.

My question is whether this is likely to be hereditary or traumatic/neurologic and whether any amount of rehab can correct the tail position? The lady is likely to return the pup if this cannot be corrected as she won't be able to show or breed the pup.

A million thanks for your thoughts on this case.
J

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Crooked puppy tail

Post by lehughes »

Hey J,

Okay…

So, my thoughts about a crooked tail…

1) Fascial restriction. I think this can happen more so if the owners are banding the tail… which many are doing now because of the AbVMA’s position statement. One of my breeder clients told me that her trick is to make sure she takes a lot of skin before placing the band. Her puppy tails seems to be fine. However, I saw another litter of puppies where all of the tails were tender… and this is how I came to learn about ‘good banding’ and ’too tight’ banding.

And if that is the case, then some prolonged holds in positions that would stretch the fascia might help. And tail pulls.

2) SIJ dysfunction. Pain in the SIJ can lead to to pain along the sacrotuberous ligament which can lead to pain when the tail is moved because of the muscular & tendinous attachments between the two.

And if that’s the case, then you need to do more than a grade 2 mob. You need to do a grade 3 or 4…. and I don’t show owners how to do any spinal mobs others than traction. So, all in all, get that puppy back to your hands that are more skilled!

3) Broken coccygeal vertebra when even younger as a pup. I think you might be able to feel a bony anomaly however… so double check for that.

So the tail chewing part has me putting this as a problem #1. So, in addition to playing with the tail, pulling the tail, you could try Kinesiology tape, acupuncture, and laser.

Unfortunately, it will take a few weeks to see if it makes a difference! But that’s what I’d try! I don’t think it’s hereditary...

But do keep me posted!!! Good luck!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES