Calcaneal bursitis

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
WendyRobinson

Calcaneal bursitis

Post by WendyRobinson »

Roxy - 1 year old female spayed Eurasier.
Roxy has a 4 week history of right pelvic limb lameness. Was initially non-weight bearing and very painful on R PL but has progressively improved and no longer exhibits lameness or pain in past week. Radiographs were unremarkable. Musculoskeletal ultrasound should bursitis and cellulitis of calcaneous. Calcaneal tendon intact and no apparent trauma. RDVM put her on Nsaids and rest and she has improved but the swelling has not resolved. The swelling is firm and drainage is not possible.
I instituted laser therapy this week and continued controlled leash walking for another 4 weeks.
I have not had much experience with bursitis, especially in this location. Is there anything else that can be done for this condition ? Would a light tarsal brace for some support and compression but not immobilization be beneficial?

Thank you for any input or ideas.

Dr. Wendy Robinson :D

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Calcaneal bursitis

Post by lehughes »

Hey Wendy,

So, I did a wee search to see where 'human medicine' is at on the topic of bursitis to see how up to date (or out of date) I actually am! Turn out not much 'innovation' has occurred on the bursitis front.

So, I would say yes to laser... dose will depend on your brand of laser.

Typically, you would want ballistic movements avoided (i.e. jumping / jerky movements), but stretching could be incorporated. (With a dog, just a simple prolonged sit could do the trick)... to accomplish this, I'd recommend sitting on an elevated platform (so that sloppy sitting is avoided) - and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat 2 - 3 times per session. 2 - 3 x per day.

Ice is still recommended... although it is likely just a matter of 'we've always done it this way' versus any physiologic reasoning (i.e. ice has fallen out of favour for inflammatory conditions except for pain relief). If looking at a physiologic response, I would lean toward contrast baths in order to get a pumping effect with vasoconstriction / vasodilation... and could be done with two buckets of water going back and forth with 20 - 30 seconds in each. (IF the dog will tolerate it.)

I don't think you'd want to brace it... as compression might set it back or create more irritation.

Sorry, I don't have anything more magical to offer. It's a frustrating (and boring) condition to treat!

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

WendyRobinson

Re: Calcaneal bursitis

Post by WendyRobinson »

Thank you Laurie :D