Tendon Neuroplastic Retraining

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Tendon Neuroplastic Retraining

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie
I am a member of your wonderful Four leg Rehab resource and I want to thank you for all the time and effort you put in to keep us updated and informed.
I have a question - I am not sure that I fully understood the tendon neuroplastic training that you discussed in the iliopsoas video. I have read some of the human stuff, but I am not sure I understand how that would work for dogs.
I am probably just being a bit dim, but perhaps you could point me in the right direction to some resources that would elaborate on this topic.
Many thanks and kind regards
K

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Tendon Neuroplastic Retraining

Post by lehughes »

Hi K,

Okay… so I agree it’s a bit of a stretch to figure out how we do Neuroplastic retraining in dogs. In humans, we can use a timer or metronome to have a patient work at a pace that is NOT self selected. We can have athletes run a straight line and then be ’told’ right or left to indicate which way they need to turn. Basically training with an element of unpredictability outside of a real-life / competition / game-like scenario.

So to do this, we create this environment. The talk discussed “External Pacing” being used in humans (i.e. movement in time to a metronome). For this I suggested:
Follow a treat while balancing.
Even cavaletti’s while following a treat fits here. (Because WE are setting the pace, course, height of poles etc.)

I also think the following fits into this category as well:
Quick alterations in speed while on a land treadmill or UWT.
Workouts at different water heights while in an UWT (to change step height)
Treadmill training with unpredictable perturbations (i.e push on shoulders or rump in an unpredictable manner / pattern).

By definition provided in the paper - External Pacing of an Exercise - this is what I figured we can come up with when translating it to dogs.

Is that helpful? or no…

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Tendon Neuroplastic Retraining

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie
Many thanks for this - it is very helpful!
Enjoy your weekend and thanks again for taking the time to explain this to me.
Cheers
K