Complicated fracture and amputation

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Complicated fracture and amputation

Post by lehughes »

I know I keep.picking your brains so sorry.
I have this guy I have now taken over his ownership as owners after two failed plates feel they are not able to cope. He fell off back of a ite has spiral fracture in right leg and fracture through pelvis left side. Vet has decided that best to remove leg now as just to much damage to salvage. My question is after his amputation would putting him in a well padded wheel chair be an idea that way will be able to lift higher at back and rest pelvis allowing it to heal while allowing him to move on walks he is only 11 months old and a kelpie. He is pretty good and docile but does need some exercise. What's your thoughts. I am just concerned that with leg amp and all weight on the pelvis fracture we may add to the problem.
JC
Attachments
NewDog.jpg
NewDog.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 267 times

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Complicated fracture and amputation

Post by lehughes »

Hi J,
Okay.. so, I think this is a fabulous idea. If you go with a Walkin' Wheels, it is very adjustable and can be changed as he is better able to bear weight. AND... you can then rent it out to other dogs that might need it in the future! I'd also suggest a Help-Em-Up Harness. Then I'd do lots of simple standing practice.

Best of luck! Super cute new dog!!!
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES