Doubt about massage technique for TgP

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Doubt about massage technique for TgP

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,

First of all I’m super fan of you!!!!!

I’m FourLeg members and vet in Brazil. Please help me with a question. Can I use effleurage (superficial than deep) above TrP regardless deep finger pressure to avoid pain at the dog?

In my practice I’ve been used lots of movements i.e. at the infraspinatus/deltoid with effleurage until the muscles release, get harm and soft.

I think at this way I can release de TrP. I think that is better massage the area for 5 ou 10 minutes without pain rather than 20 seconds with pain but my concern is if in this way I can remove do knot.

Thinking about the mechanical patterns and the physiological response I believe that, in this way I can improve blood, oxygen at the site and dissolve the knot.

I’m thinking in the right way or not?

Please, if you could help me I’ll be very thankful.

King Regards,

TR

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Doubt about massage technique for TgP

Post by lehughes »

Hi TR!

Welcome to FourLeg! I’m delighted to have you as a member!

So, I would advise you to also check out the training videos 71 - 74 all about Myofascial Trigger points.
Now, to answer your question, yes, you have the right thinking!
We are moving away from ‘ischaemic pressure technique’ and into a ‘graduated pressure technique’. In doing so, pressure is gradually increased versus pressed hard to create pain… because pain is not needed to release the trigger point. So, I’d say any sort of increase in blood flow and then some targetted pressure (or other techniques) to the point in a gradually deeper/stronger way will get you the same result but with a happier dog!

Good question! I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES