Lumbosacral Disease Topic

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Lumbosacral Disease Topic

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie

Hope you are well! So I have a question for my own dog.

She had Xrays and CT done last week and was diagnosed with : Sacralisation of L7 and lumbosacral transitional vertebrae (I believe that's the English translation) from her Sacrum onto L6.

So i've been catching up on most of your lumbosacral disease videos on your portal since but was wondering if there is anything in addition that needs to be avoided/done differently in such a case?

For the moment the findings are more clinical as there is no pain or neuro deficits yet. She does have low to moderate HD, which I understand is often related in this type of diagnosis

Anyway, any advise would be greatly appreciated as she's my first case with this diagnosis.

Thanks!

--
NJ

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Lumbosacral Disease Topic

Post by lehughes »

Hi N,

So, firstly, I think that sacralization of L7 is much better than a lumbarization of S1. Even with an L6/S1 transitional vertebrae… it is still more stable than if S1 is a transitional vertebra (from what I’ve seen).

Secondly, I would just keep an eye on it. Assess for pain. Note any problems: neuro signs, licking chewing of feet, hunched back, etc… should they arise, and treat accordingly.
If it was a lumbarization issue, then I’d ensure good muscle control / abdominal strengthening / do not let her become overweight… as a way to protect against issues… but a sacralized L7 may never have such issues… and even if transitional the juncture between L6 and what is currently a sacralized L7 will be more stable / rigid and less likely to lead to an issue at that joint.

I hope this helps! That’s how I would look at things anyways!

All the best!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES