Carpal laxity and rotation

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Carpal laxity and rotation

Post by lehughes »

Hey Alan,

Okay, so very interesting that the 'laterally rotated' limb is bearing more weight than the other one. I would have thought it to be the one with less weight. Interesting! Just another way that dogs are amazing at how they compensate.

As for the front legs, If you have localized the issue to the carpus and found laxity to be at fault then you could brace the carpus. Here's what you need to consider.
  • Bracing won't cause muscle atrophy... in fact the opposite could be true if the dog feels more confident in the leg and starts to use it more.
  • Depending on the degree of laxity, you can look at rigid support, neoprene support with extra supports/padding, or a light wrap more for proprioception, warmth, and very light support.
  • The rigid supports I would reserve for more debilitating carpal injuries, since the dog will off load that limb with a rigid apparatus, unless said apparatus makes weight bearing possible where it wasn't before.
  • A semi rigid / staged rigid brace / wrap - i.e. Therapaw carpoflex X, will provide support if there is ligamentous insufficiency and the carpus is starting to go down. There you can add a strip of thermoplastics, a rigid velcro strip, and/or padding to change from light support to heavy support.
    They are also great for carpal joints that you think will change over time - i.e. get worse or get better, and you can add support or reduce support accordingly.
  • A wrap (i.e. neoprene - Therapaw Sports wrap, or thermal - Back on track carpal brace), will help the ones that are still high functioning but you have concerns, or you want some support and/or a 'reminder' for the dog to be aware of the carpus - proprioceptive, or there is some OA at the joint - so a wrap is compressive, comforting, and retaining heat.
I would start as simple as possible and don't get too rigid too soon if you don't have to!

I hope this helps in your thought processing!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Ahhh never mind my comment about hind limb. I read distal limb to be hind limb...
Human to dog translation error on my part!
Sorry!
The rest of the comments still stand! ;)

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

With an additional caveat to check the shoulder and neck...

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES