Pelvic Tilt Exercise Question

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
physiomydog

Pelvic Tilt Exercise Question

Post by physiomydog »

Hi

I have just seen Laurie's latest newsletter, talking about LS and I have just watched training video 187 for Pelvic Tilt exercise.

Funnily enough I have been doing a version of this but in stand with dogs. So their feet staying still, standing square, flat top line and often getting lumbar muscles spasming. Sometimes on flat ground and other times, raising their front limbs slightly.

Am wondering if there are any specific benefits to only doing in stand? When wanting to primarily treat the back, is it best to do this exercise in stand or lying down/sit as discussed in the video.

Hope this isn't a silly question! Thanks in advance
Harriet

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Pelvic Tilt Exercise Question

Post by lehughes »

Hey Harriet,

It's a great question. So I think you can get some extra range in a safe 'pinch free' zone in sternal... because the hips are still flexed, so you're not getting into as much extension. In my mind, when you go to standing or front feet elevated standing, you are potentially getting more extension in the L/S and the potential for other parts of the body to compensate (i.e hips, T/S...).

I always like to try and see if there is a way to 'feel' the exercise in our own bodies. In this instance, I equate it to sitting in a chair and doing a pelvic tilt back and forth seated. Now try and do the same thing in standing. The standing version allows for many other variables and ways to cheat and/or do it incorrectly. Seated takes out some of the elements thus making the exercise a bit more specific and allows for a learning of the movement.

So, not so much a matter of one exercise is good and another is bad, but a matter of are you getting / seeing the movement you want with the particular exercise you have chose?

Try it on yourself!!! :P

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES