Polyarthritis case Italian Greyhound

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Polyarthritis case Italian Greyhound

Post by lehughes »

Hey Laurie,
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 2.21.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 2.21.05 PM.png (449.37 KiB) Viewed 809 times

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Polyarthritis case Italian Greyhound

Post by lehughes »

What about this?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 2.21.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 2.21.25 PM.png (341.74 KiB) Viewed 808 times

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Polyarthritis case Italian Greyhound

Post by lehughes »

Oi! Those carpi are a mess! So my thinking is that to try to put that dog into bilateral front limb splints that will put the dog in even somewhat of an upright carpus, will result in complete non-use.
To combat the forces to get that carpus upright, you'd need rigid thermoplastics. Using rigid thermoplastics will more likely cause extreme pressures and subsequent skin breakdown, and does not take into account the multitude of compensations that the dog has established in order to move. Plus... in the case of IMPA, if you put all of the efforts into supporting the carpi... which other joints now take on those stresses? It's a vicious cycle!
So... what about a front wheel or 4 wheel cart instead? It could allow for reduced loading but still allow for function and mobility.
And as for strengthening... I'd say swimming would be the best bet to allow non-weightbearing of those compromised front legs.
If you want an opinion from an orthotist, I'd send an e-mail or message (with picture) off to Hero or Orthopets - both utilize orthotists in their custom.

Good luck!
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES