shockwave depth clarification

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

shockwave depth clarification

Post by lehughes »

Hey Laurie!
Congrats again on the therapist of the year award….Sooo well deserved!

I am rewatching your shockwave videos (probably the 3rd or 4th time! – I LOVE fourleg!). In the 1st one you refer to depth of penetration of focused to 30 cm and radial to 7cm. My unit if focused but I was taught its depth of the wave penetration is up to 30 mm based on which gel pad I use. Did I understand him wrong?

Thanks!
J.

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: shockwave depth clarification

Post by lehughes »

Hey Jeannie

Thank you for the congrats! I am so very honoured! It is a wonderful culmination of a career and fulfillment of a vision - to have had an impact on so many practitioners (especially PTs / Physios) and subsequently so many animals. And I’m so happy you like FourLeg. You’ll like it even more at the reduced price!!

Okay, so I am trying my darnedest fo find THAT source for 30cm. So far I can find an article by Kristin Kirkby. She says 10 cm based on this reference.
Comparative effectiveness of focused shock wave therapy of different
intensity levels and radial shock wave therapy for treating plantar fasciitis:
A systematic review and network meta-analysis. Chang KV, Chen
SY, Chen WS, et al. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 93:1259-1268, 2012.

The next reference says 11cm - Millis DL, Francis D, Adamson C. Emerging modalities in veterinary rehabilitation. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2005 Nov;35(6):1335-55, viii. doi: 10.1016/j.cvsm.2005.08.007. PMID: 16260316.
But they don’t have a reference for that number.

I was about to give up and say, I must have messed up, nothing is saying anything close to 30cm, but then I found this:
https://sonicwave.ca/wp-content/uploads ... chure.pdf
And it says that FSWT can go up to 20cm and Radial can go 5cm.

So, since I cannot find which reference I got that number from, I’m going to say that I likely found the number 30mm somewhere and after then finding a reference that the Radial could penetrate up to 7cm, I may have gone back and amended the mm to cm figuring that I had messed it up in the first place. That being said, it does depend on the pressure / power and the shape of the transmitter head and quite likely the machine itself and then the ‘age’ of the research.

So, I’ll take the hit on that one. That being said, your sales rep likely told you the right thing for the particular unit you have.

Thank you for pointing this out!

All the best,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES