One carpus braced. Brace the other one preventatively?

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

One carpus braced. Brace the other one preventatively?

Post by lehughes »

Quick question! I just finished making a cast for a non articulating carpal brace (sent to K9 Orthotics) for a 8 yr old GSD. The GSD jumped out of the back of a truck (non moving according to the owner) and tore carpal ligaments and now has severe carpal hyperextension. The owner can't afford arthrodesis so we are going for a custom made carpal brace. The opposite carpus has mild hyperextension and I would like to protect this joint from further damage. I am thinking of a neoprene type brace. Through WDDC I have found a neoprene carpal brace by Kruuse. It simply is a rectangle of neoprene with 2 velcro straps. What's your opinion on neoprene carpal braces for a mild carpal hyperextension? Or do you have a better alternative?

The K9 Orthotic people have mentioned that they could make a non articulating carpal brace also for the mild carpal hyperextension limb, but at this time the owner isn't very keen to spend another $500 on a second brace.
I would love your thoughts.
Thanks
JS

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: One carpus braced. Brace the other one preventatively?

Post by lehughes »

As for your clinical question. I wouldn’t add anything more than a neoprene wrap on the ‘good’ carpus.  Kruuse is a good name and has a strong hold in Europe.  The other one we have / use is the Therapaw sport wrap.  Honestly, I think they serve as a proprioceptive tool for the most part. However, a more rigid, or even just a stiffer carpal brace, I think would severely impede the dog’s movement.  We’ve tried in the past and often the gait changes are not worth it OR the dog simply won’t move.  So, go with a neoprene wrap (Kruuse - if thin) or the Therapaw version.  And if this doesn’t work well… then just leave it and hope for some joint thickening / fibrosis to help stabilize the carpus (like it does in a 3-legged dog).

I hope this helps!  
Best of luck!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES