Post-partum dog & weak abdominals

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Post-partum dog & weak abdominals

Post by lehughes »

This is an e-mail that came in to me - just sharing it here. - Laurie

Hi Laurie!

I found an article on your website that referenced a “post-partum dog” with weak abdominals causing a swayed back. My dog Rosie is about 4 months postpartum (we got her 2 months ago) and her belly droops down just like the dog in that picture and it’s worrisome as we were thinking there was something wrong with her (re:distended abdomen) however she has no other symptoms and when she’s trotting on her walks her abdomen gets sucked up and her back straightens out and she looks normal. It made me wonder if it’s nothing to worry about and just weak abdominal muscles from her pregnancy. But I can’t find anything at all online that talks about this though - like maybe it’s not a thing that happens to most dogs postpartum. Do you have any resources you could link me to? I don’t know where you’re located, but we are in Los Angeles - I attached a picture of her trotting and one of her standing lazily with a swayed back. She’s 35 lbs. Anywhere you could point me would be great! Thank you!

Carrie
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 183 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (83.08 KiB) Viewed 183 times

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Post-partum dog & weak abdominals

Post by lehughes »

Hello Carrie,

I just uploaded an older video onto my youtube channel that show an exercise to try with your dog.
It’s a good place to start.
https://youtu.be/CtvzyPWxpio

From there, I would look at this blog for other suggestions to build her tummy muscles:
https://fourleg.com/Blog/291/Functional ... -the-core

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Laurie

PS - Hey folks, if you right click on the links and select, view in new tab, you should be able to see the linked content. ;)
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES