Rear Leg Hitch

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Rear Leg Hitch

Post by lehughes »

Hey Laurie.....me again!!

I have an agility dog that is hitching her rear leg on occasion when she transitions from a trot to faster speeds. Ok trotting along on leash (rare hitch) but definitely worse after agility (holds rear up for a few steps). Owner is a vet & thought maybe gr 1 ccl but absolutely no positive clinical tests. Recently xrayed stifle & did ant. Drawer & tibial thrust under sedation...both negative. She had some SIJ dysfunction & we were treating that with good results (mobilizations laser rear end exercises). Reassessed again after hitching got worse after agility on Monday. Thinking it is a hamstring strain possibly (dog is a bit hard to assess because becomes quite rigid with attempts to move hind limbs). But...in the end definitely seems to respond to hamstring stretch on that side & not the other. Owner thought maybe Gracilis but then didn’t think it actually fit the picture.

I have looked on the four leg education site & can’t find anything about hamstring strains. Any thought if this would fit picture (the hitching, caudal rotation of innominate, worsening of hitching with jumps/explosive etc.)?
Currently she has pulled her from doing any agility (very high level agility dog...potential world team candidate) lasering hamstrings daily, hind end strengthening etc. (was thinking of trying IMS as well). Any thoughts would be great. She may end up seeing Dr. Lane if not resolving.

AT

PS Video Link: https://youtu.be/XXQJ2lu4iek

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Rear Leg Hitch

Post by lehughes »

Well, there's nothing on FourLeg on hamstring strains because I've never seen one! 28 years in practice and not one hamstring strain! Fibrotic myopathy yes, but not a strain.

I'd go with iliopsoas and fascial restrictions as the first place I'd look. Throw fibrotic myopathy in as a differential (gracilis, semi memb or tend) - however I've never seen a fibrotic myopathy dog pick up a leg like this. Lumbosacral stenosis / osteophytes - another differential. Do a hamstring stretch to assess length. Then do it again with someone pulling the tail (to traction L-S) and look for greater extensibility.

I'll post it on the forum and see if anyone else pipes up (Including Dr. Lane!) 😉

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES