Grade II patella sub lux - conservative rehab

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
KKVetPhysio

Grade II patella sub lux - conservative rehab

Post by KKVetPhysio »

Hello,

I’d like other people’s experience/ opinions please.

I’m working with someone who has a Yorkie patient with bilateral subluxating Patellas, grade 2. The aim is to strengthen quads mechanism enough that the dog doesn’t need to undergo surgery.

When discussing what at home exercises the owners were doing I was told sit to stands would be contra indicated because the patella would luxate with each sit. I was also told that sit-to-stands would only be indicated for a grade 1.

A few questions:
1. Is luxación with each sit normal for a grade 2?

2. Have others found sit to stands to be beneficial with patella luxation cases? If so, what grade?

Many thanks!

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Grade II patella sub lux - conservative rehab

Post by lehughes »

Hey There!

This is the theme for the day - patellar luxations!

So, firstly, there is lots on FourLeg about Patellar Luxations:

Audio
VOS-Abstracts-2017-Part1

Articles
Conservative Management of Medial Patellar Luxation Protocol

Newsletters
2015 Sept - Oct: Volume 4, Issue 5

Video Training
Video Training 117: Tips & Tricks for Testing Patellar Luxations

Video Training 124: Patellar Luxation people vs dogs...

Video Training 125: Part 1 Conservative Mgmt Patellar Lux

Video Training 126: Part 2 Conservative Mgmt Patellar Luxation

Video Training 186: Medial Patellar Luxation Update

Now, to answer your question about sit to stands, it's not quite that black and white. In the early stages, you'd not necessarily want to do full sit to stands. (However, test it. Put your hands on the dog's stifles, feel for a luxation while the owner is asking the dog to sit. Is there a luxation? If not, then it could be a good exercise. If yes, then it's not. It will be dog dependent.

However, that's why I'd prescribe mini squats. Sit to stand onto a platform or seat, or onto your leg/thigh. Wait, it's a Yorkie, so onto your foot or calf might work!

Other than that, work on static balancing (Isometrics), Concentric contraction (i.e. walking up hill), and THEN work on the eccentrics (i.e. controlled lowering to a sit).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES