TMJ & Dentistry

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

TMJ & Dentistry

Post by lehughes »

This e-mail came in to me and I wanted to share it with everyone as well! :mrgreen:

By the way, I had also wanted to reach out to you to let you know what I have been finding in my own patients concerning TMJ pain. My other main focus in veterinary medicine, other than rehabilitation, is actually in dentistry. Having the knowledge of how to find TMJ pain better than before, I started to look for it much more often. Since I see many patients for dental issues I started to evaluate them before and after dental procedures. While I definitely agree that there's likely some TMJ pain that comes from pets having their mouth open for too long during the procedure, and have seen some patients get acutely worse right after a procedure (luckily most of the time I can see them uncomfortable and fix it even before they're go home), I feel like TMJ pain is much more common than I ever imagined. As a rough estimate of all of the pets that I see with likely dental infection, I would estimate that about half of those patients show signs of TMJ pain before the dental procedure. Having even rougher estimates, because I have much less data considering not every pet I see goes through with the procedure and only a portion come back in for a recheck examination after extractions, I find that around a third of the dogs that had TMJ pain beforehand still show some TMJ discomfort even after the problem teeth are removed. Unfortunately, owners are even worse at realizing oral pain in pets than musculoskeletal pain in pets. That is mostly because most of the time pets won't do anything to outwardly show that pain. I should start to keep actual statistics of what I see, but know that remembering to do things like that is not my strong suit. 😂 Even without actual statistics I thought you might be interested in hearing what I had noticed. - JV

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: TMJ & Dentistry

Post by lehughes »

I really like the perspective you bring in regards to your TMJ / Dental cases. I’d like to share it on the FourLeg Forum. It’s likely that the dogs have been avoiding chewing on an affected side for so long that they impact TMJ function in doing so. The other thing that I have to also remind myself to check on these dogs is C1 and C2. They are highly correlated with TMJ and dental issues in people, and likely ALSO go unnoticed in animals as well. Thank you for sharing your insights!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES