Chronic Shoulder - New Carpus

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Chronic Shoulder - New Carpus

Post by lehughes »

I have a dog that is a long term client. Shoulder issues with a chronic reduction in shoulder extension but not lame now and overall manages well. Reviewed the other day Nd was checking carpus and he has developed a significant popping out of the carpal radial bone. There us a lack of movement on figure of 8 movements in the paw. Flexion and extension remain excellent . He has developed a corn on medial pad. Dog is not lame. I suspect ligaments have been disrupted . Just wondered about management 🤔 any suggestions?
HH

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Chronic Shoulder - New Carpus

Post by lehughes »

Well, I'm thinking that the corn could / should be treated, as it might be causing an awkward positioning of the foot & carpus. However, given that the dog isn't lame, I'd be hesitant to do much more than the simplest of maintenance (i.e. laser or whatever other cartilage based modalities at your disposal) and some mobilizations. I'd show the owner carpal tractions / distractions. Advise nutraceuticals (if the dog is not on them already). That's where my head is at anyways!
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Cool..thats was my take on it too .. thank you for taking the time to answer I am very grateful 🙏 ❤ . I just wondered if there was something else I should be doing it was such an unusual finding . Hard being a perpetual worrier and thinking you have missed something 🙄.
HH

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

I think keeping it practical can be a better solution much of the time.

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES