Gracilis Injury

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Gracilis Injury

Post by lehughes »

We are treating a working police patrol dog with a history of a gracilis injury. I am scheduled to see him next week as he has reinjured it. I did not see anything on your amazing website… Can you direct me? I have a plan to assess and perhaps reeducate adductor control but would love to see if you have anything out there! thanks Love the website!
C.

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Gracilis Injury

Post by lehughes »

Hi Cheryl,

You’re right I don’t have a full article or video on it, but I’ve got a few blogs:

Blogs (use the search bar on the right hand side in the Member's area)

TPLO Dog and Tibial Internal Rotation

Fibrotic Myopathy…

Gracilis tear in a working dog

I’ve also answered a few questions about it on the Forum. - and there’s a search function for the Forum to find them there as well. (search both gracilis, & fibrotic myopathy)

All in all, it’s a crap shoot. I look at it as doing slow myofascial type stretches and then strengthen the leg tons. It might not work, even after all of that.
However, I’d spend most of your time on long stretches and the exercise. Don’t waste time in the UWT.
For strengthening, I’d do tug, anything going backwards, some explosion type plyometrics (i.e. jumping onto a platform) for general leg strength, and then work into burst & sprints.

Sorry I don’t have more. No two are the same, and of course it depends on the timeframe in which you catch it. I hope this sort of helps!

Best of luck!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES