Post Op Achilles

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Post Op Achilles

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie, hope you guys are staying safe & healthy these days. I am reaching out because I just got a new client seeking rehab for a lacerated achille's tendon that was repaired surgically 9 weeks ago. The dog had an external fixation for 4 weeks, a sprint for 3 weeks, and a soft wrap for 2 weeks (removed yesterday). He had been WB through the affected limb until the soft wrap was removed yesterday, now he is NWB. I searched through the FourLeg database but couldn't find anything about rehabbing achille's tendon injuries 😞 I was wondering if I just missed it or if you happened to have any resources to direct me to. I've never rehabbed a lacerated achille's on a dog before, plenty in humans, but never on a dog.

If possible, could you please give me any pointers or direct me somewhere for more info? I appreciate it. Thank you in advance

EF

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Post Op Achilles

Post by lehughes »

Here's what's on FourLeg for Achilles Tendon. Really check to see if the repair feels good. It's a tricky one and can have a high non-success rate. To be NWB now is weird.
Let me know if you need more than directions to where to find info below. (I'm working more than before these day, and up to my eyeballs...)
So think of it like a human case... Slow loading of the tendon.

Newsletters
2012 May-June: Volume 1, Issue 2

2012 Mar-April: Volume 1, Issue 1 (weirdly this one is located in the 2013 archives, and I can't get it to move to 2012)

Video Training
Video Training 52: Exercises for the Achilles Tendon

Video Training 132: Diagnosis of an Achilles Tendon Tear

Video Training 145: Achilles Tendon Treatment

There's a little white search bar when you log in - up at the right hand side. You can type in there a search term to find stuff. It's the easiest way now since the data base has gotten so huge!
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

OMG thank you so much! I really appreciate this!

I’ve been digesting all the info from FourLeg but I do have a question. Would you say that having a tarsal brace or splint is a must have during this post op rehab?

This dog had external fixation for 4 weeks, a splint for 3 weeks and a soft wrap for 2 weeks. No rehab until now.

EF

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

I do like the soft wraps (where you can add or remove support) during the rehab phase so that when you increase work load, you put it on. (i.e. starting to allow trotting - use the wrap first. Then if that goes well, take it off. Starting to allow a run - use the wrap first, the off. Same for burst activity or off leash. I think a soft support is critical for when you add in new, more challenging workloads / forces.
Did you see the dog yet? Is it putting weight on the leg?

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

I will get to ordering one.

I did see him. He wasn’t WB but by the end of the session he was TTWB and this morning his owner said she took a painfully slow potty walk with him for about 8 minutes and he was using the leg almost of the time.

E

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hmmm... well at last that's a good sign. I was worried for you / them b/c of the NWB. These things can go sideways... and usually at this point down the line, there isn't pain. So the biggest concern is doing to much and wrecking the repair.
Carry on! Slowly!

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

I told her that they need to monitor him at home precisely for that reason. They don’t have him crated or confined at all when they aren’t watching him.

I’m going to be super conservative but that also extends the length of rehab which they are already not too enthused about.

E

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Eek!

But we both know that if anything goes wrong YOU will get blamed. So, better safe than sorry.

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Exactly. I was very blunt with the owner regarding the chances for rerupture if we don’t do things very conservatively and they are very careful not to push him too far too soon at home

E

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Keep on them! That's all you can do!

Oh, and document it all!

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES