Tail Pull Traction Question

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Tail Pull Traction Question

Post by lehughes »

Hello,

Tail pull inquiry:

I had been taught, and because it made sense to me, have continued to adhere to the idea that tail pulls should be a distraction running parallel to the slope of the sacrum. However, in your video from physiotec, you are pulling more in line with the topline of the dog or parallel to the ground.

Recognizing that we have no tail pull data in dogs and therefore everything anyone says is inherently opinion, do you not feel that one needs to distract following the slope of the sacrum? If not, do you then deliberately pull in different directions to engender a different physiologic benefit? Or do you think the angle doesn't much matter as long as you are pulling?

Sincerely,

D

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Tail Pull Traction Question

Post by lehughes »

Hey!

The only way I don’t want to pull is with the tail jacked up into extension. Usually, I try to pull along the trajectory of the sacrum. (Sometimes the videos were diffucult simply b/c I didn’t have a handler and was just trying to get as many done as I could.)
I have no issues with pulling in varying directions however. I think you still get a benefit and no adverse effect with multidirectional pulls - and in fact one could argue that pulling in different directions has the potential to affect nerve roots on one side or the other, which could help if you thought the problem was a bit more unilateral.

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES