Updates on Carts & Cruciate Braces?

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
K9Rehab

Updates on Carts & Cruciate Braces?

Post by K9Rehab »

Hello everyone,
Just wondering what your experience has been with wheelchair carts - particularly the ones that are popping up on Amazon.ca. I have a recent client with a 13 year old Border Collie and quickly progressive DM, she'd like a cart but realizes it might be for a short time so is considering the Amazon version as they are a fraction of the cost. We live in the Kootenays so getting a rental from Calgary is not feasible. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Secondly, cruciate bracing.... Any updates on recommendations here. Full tear, non surgical so looking to brace to allow for easier activity and support for the joint. Owner has tried a Balto type (pull on compressive sleeve to fit over bilateral stifles) but it was so cumbersome to put on and didn't seem to offer any support (I did not see it, he borrowed from a friend). Bringing up back to Hero which I have done on a few occasions. Just wondering what the experience has been with others - K9 Orthotics? The owner would really prefer not to sedate the dog for the casting. Thanks!

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Updates on Carts & Cruciate Braces?

Post by lehughes »

Hey!

So we've seen a number of crazy disaster carts that clients have found and purchased online themselves. Our favourites have been Doggon Wheels, Eddies Wheels, and Walkin' Wheels... in that order.

I found the following blog post on the subject:
https://petlifetoday.com/best-dog-wheelchairs/
Not sure I agree with all of their recommendations. (Of the ones in their blog that they suggest that from my looking at them, I'd not touch with a 10 foot pole - the Newlife chair, the Huggiecart, the HiHydro, the Runmind, the ExGizmo, the FidgetFidget, The Quaz 4, the Surpcos, & the Youngfly.

They recommend the K9 Carts, which was the first cart created & on the market. It's not bad... just not progressed as much in design. I think if you were to do the measurements, then the Walkin Wheels or K9 Carts could do just fine.

Cruciate bracing:
1. Love Hero (and you get a discount)
2. Orthopets next
3. K9 Orthotics (Canadian) gets good reviews. I had a complicated case once that we reached out to Jeff Collins (K9 Orthotics) about. After initial correspondence, he never got back to us. So that soured me on them and we've not tried since then.
4. We've actually used the A-trac a few times (www.woundwear.com)... hmm might be out of service now - link doesn't work at all. They were really non-supportive-type braces, but they worked for some cases.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES