Estrus and SIJ Irritation?

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
jabro30

Estrus and SIJ Irritation?

Post by jabro30 »

Aloha Laurie!

I had a 1.5 yr old Female Intact Golden Retriever present to me for an acute onset of "atypical posturing" at a stand. Although she's hyperactive, no known trauma, falls, etc.

On examination, she was cow hocked and during the end part of her sit, she would roll back on her pelvis. Other notable physical exam features included: bilateral SIJ irritation, LS discomfort, and decreased hamstring activation.

We did some acupuncture, photobiomoduation, shockwave, and manual (all the helpful tips you taught at STAAR!), as well as a short course of NSAIDs. The dog improved immediately, but over two weeks, the symptoms returned. I had the owner re-start NSAIDs until I could repeat above treatments and she noted quite sudden improvement with the meds.

When I reassessed the dog, turned how she had had just entered her first heat about 5 days prior.

Wondering if you have seen dogs in estrus having pelvic/SIJ issues and whether this could parallel women who have SIJ pain during their menstrual cycles?

Jake

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Estrus and SIJ Irritation?

Post by lehughes »

Hey Jake!

This is a great question! Not because I have the answer, but because I've asked this question to myself before as well. It's also been a question, that I've discussed with Dr. David Lane too.

David posed the question on another chat group. I've kept our correspondence from back in 2016, because it's a topic I'd like to look into further.

I asked around in another chat group and someone found the following attached summary paper. I'm also aware of but haven't yet located a PennHIP related paper that says the distraction index/hip laxity does not change for dogs in heat. Of the 3 people that responded in the other group, 2 don't recommend exercise restriction based on heat, and one emphasizes good warm up/down etc. but doesn't pull the dog completely (she once saw a blown tarsus over a minor event in an in-heat dog and rightly or wrongly has an n=1 confirmation bias since then).

So, the only other differentials I'd put into your case scenario would be:
Do the dog's "lady parts" simply feel odd, swollen, yucky... thus causing the postural changes?
Could there be some associated vaginitis thus contributing to postural compensations?
Might dogs get menstrual cramps?
Might feeling yucky, lead to postural compensations that subsequently cause the back pain issues?

I also know of dog owners with dogs that get 'sucky' or develop 'menstrual brain' in association with their heat cycles. One owner spayed her dog for that reason alone. Before, during, and up to 2-months after her dog's heat cycle, her dog just wouldn't work (in Obedience) and seemed to forget what she was supposed to do, and wouldn't take commands as well. Hormonal dissidence?

So, to be honest, I don't have an answer, other than to say that I don't believe it's been studied in dogs!

But if others know of studies out there or have experience or opinions, please respond!!!

Thanks for asking Jake! I don't know if we'll get any other feedback, but I still think it's a great question and train of thought!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

David Lane

Re: Estrus and SIJ Irritation?

Post by David Lane »

Because the waters aren't muddy enough already...

The final answer may vary according to breed/genetics. It is standard practice amongst whippet owners not to compete their dogs for a few weeks following estrus because of loss of conditioning. It is something that I can personally attest to; that following a heat, some whippets will demonstrate an observable loss in muscle mass and tone. I have not noticed this phenomenon in any other breed, nor have I encountered widespread recognition of this happening in any other breed that I work with.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP