Shockwave & Patellar fracture repair & revision

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Shockwave & Patellar fracture repair & revision

Post by lehughes »

Laurie,
Greetings! I have been a PT for >20 years and just received my CCRT and am so grateful or all of your amazing learning tools. I have been using most modalities for years, except Shockwave is a new one for me. I think there is some general misunderstanding about it from some colleagues as well. We have a radial shockwave unit and Piezoelectric unit. It has been used for OA with good results. I had 5 yo MN Aus Shepherd on my schedule the other day, with fractured patella and 2 failed surgeries 5/8/19 and 5/31/19. A 2nd revision was performed by board certified surgeon on 7/16/19 and at 9 weeks post-op is still non-union (significant gap--hopefully my attached file of rads comes through ok). He lives 3-4 hours away in the mountains, so drove here b/c his surgeon said to find Shockwave in the city to help with healing. (I think he actually mentioned sedated shockwave). When I mentioned this to several co-workers, everyone said the same thing...you can't use Shockwave for fractures, esp unstable fractures.So I had to disappoint this O, and we discussed that an Assisi loop may be a good option. I have since reviewed information and my heart dropped (this was also the 10th eval I did week one of being full-time on my own :). I can't believe we all missed that it can be used for fractures, including non-union. However, due to all of the wiring in this patella as easily seen on the rads, we are doubtful that this would be tolerated by this patient. Any advice would be wonderful.
Thank you! Warmly,
A
Attachments
PatellarRads.JPG
PatellarRads.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 227 times

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Shockwave & Patellar fracture repair & revision

Post by lehughes »

I’m attaching two slides of shockwave use in non-unions and one on stress fractures.

So it can be done… but wow, that little patella has a long way to go to fill in!!
I would agree with you about the PEMF loop, and I’d add laser into the therapy mix.
Since you have a radial shockwave… I think I’d try it on a very low setting (i.e. 1.0 bar) to see if the dog would tolerate it even just around the area - and or the patellar tendon and quadriceps attachment on the proximal aspect of the patella. Worth a try. Not sure what to think about all of the metal in there and the reaction of the dog. But if you start with a low amount and see… you could build up from there. Something needs to ‘kick start’ the healing process again!

Cheers,

Laurie
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 3.48.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 3.48.33 PM.png (122.46 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 3.48.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 3.48.17 PM.png (135.63 KiB) Viewed 226 times
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES