Hip Luxation Troubles

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Hip Luxation Troubles

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie!

I have a patient that I'd really like to help and I thought maybe you might have some ideas! This is a 14 year old mix breed who was was having a bout Vestibular issues- this patient fell and dislocated his R hip. They tried to reduce and stabilize the leg- but were not successful, and he is not a candidate for surgery. Are there any techniques or support that you might suggest for this patient?

Thank you for your time!!
SC

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Hip Luxation Troubles

Post by lehughes »

Hello Susan,

So this is very sad. I would have hoped that the hip could have been reduced… and then you just strengthen glutes.
In this case, you can still try to strengthen glutes, but the focus may need to be on pain management for quite a while before that. Acupuncture, laser, TENS, PEMF, Estim (passively in side lying), massage of other structures and distal to the limb and the spine and the other side.
If the hip isn’t in socket, then there isn’t much to support. The is a product on the market that is purported to be for hip dysplasia - The hip hound - or something like that. Garbage really.
You could look into K9align.com. It’s a wrap that can help a dog with OA hips to move better. I was part of the testing group, and it did seem to help my patient. I think others felt the same way as well… and the manufacturers did a presentation on it at one of the VetRehab symposiums.

That’s what I’ve got off the top of my head.

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES