Discospondylitis

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Discospondylitis

Post by lehughes »

Hey!! Do you have any particular laser protocol for possible disco?

Thank you!

C

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Discospondylitis

Post by lehughes »

Hey C,

So, not specifically.

But since laser can help with wounds / bacterial infections, I don’t think it’s a problem.
I’d use a high dose - just for the thought of actually getting to / near the target tissue. Something like 20J/cm2 at the surface, but multiple points to the region.
I’d be more concerned about shockwave, or acupuncture. But I think laser is justified IF discospondylitis were a potential Dx.
(With the caveat of course that excessive pain or heat in the region or anything that makes discospondylitis a more probable diagnosis, that antibiotics should be most important part of the care. I know I’m likely preaching to the choir… I just feel like I need to say that!!)

Okay, I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Got it!!! Yeah I’m not mobilizing beyond grade 1 either. Dog is improving on antibiotics which is what put disco on my list. Doing some alpha stim to move energy across the area and down to toes if that makes sense.
C.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Brilliant! That makes good sense all around!

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES