Litter Assessments

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Litter Assessments

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie
How do you guys manage litter assessments? How do you charge for them and what do you check? I've got a lab litter than would like one done but haven't done this (but it looks amazingly fun!!)

Thanks!

K

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Litter Assessments

Post by lehughes »

Hey K!

OMG… it is so fun! Okay, so the owner bring them in. Keep them penned up and only check one at a time. They'll pee everywhere otherwise!
We check neck, thoracic spine, lumbar spine, ribs, & SIJ. Hips don’t usually show that early, nor do elbows. But I check ROM of everything.
We are finding patellar luxations this early however! Lots of lateral luxations. So be sure to check both directions.
I should go back through some notes over the years to see if there is a correlation with SIJ problems… I believe I found some in the last litter I looked at.
Then, if there’s time, I like to make my pick of the litter. (The owners kind of like that.)
We then have a letter for each puppy that the breeder can send with them (along with a clinic brochure). It’s generic that says that the litter of <<each parent's registered name and the year>> have been assessed. We say what we looked at (not on each puppy, but just in general), and that we mobilized any issues found. (And then give them information for the clinic should they want to bring the puppy back in for follow ups and continued check ups.) Essentially it's a letter to for the breeder to show puppy buyers that they have truly gone above and beyond to ensure optimum health in their puppies.

We charge about $170 to do the whole litter (even if it’s a big litter… we just enjoy doing them so much!)

Have fun!!!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES