Shoulder Tear

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
K9Rehab

Shoulder Tear

Post by K9Rehab »

Would appreciate input on a case I just came across. Five year old Golden Retriever attacked by a moose with a kick to the lateral shoulder one month ago. Initially a fluid-filled lump formed which the owner suspected was a hematoma as it disappeared after a few days of rest and meloxicam. Dog appeared to recover fully but after a run two weeks ago the lump returned and has remained. Is fully weight bearing but is lame after activity. Shoulder ROM restricted into end of range extension but otherwise full. Owner is going to another vet clinic next week for ultrasound as referring vet did not have one in the clinic, rads taken and normal. Lump feels muscular to be, I'm suspicious of deltoid but also considering whether this could be an infraspinatus tear. I'm doubtful that any repair could occur here but wondering whether this should be excised or left alone? Thanks!

(hard to see from this picture but the top of his lump is just at the tip of the shoulder)
Attachments
Shoulder CB.jpg
Shoulder CB.jpg (81.83 KiB) Viewed 317 times

David Lane

Re: Shoulder Tear

Post by David Lane »

I would await the ultrasound report before making any therapeutic decisions... otherwise it is just guesswork.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

David's advice is sound. But I get that you are likely wanting to have some ideas in place depending on what they potentially find.

So, I have seen one infraspinatus tear. Athetic dog. It doesn't look like this, and it can't 'ball up' like this. So if I were to put a wager on this, I'd like to place a bet on Spinal Head of Deltoid... because I think that could be a muscle that could ball up like that. (Rather like old men when they pop a biceps tendon.)

So treatment... I guess it gets looked at by a surgeon to see if there is a 'reconnection' surgery to be done.

Alternates... hmmm. A hematoma... progressing to myositis ossificans? Nah, they don't quite act like this.

If no surgery, then build muscle around it. Owners will need to be realistic about how much their dog can do, and or on a walk, only part of it can be off leash romping. They'll need to learn his limits.

Please keep us posted. I don't bet on horses or anything like this. This kind of betting satisfies my low level of 'gambling' interest.

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

K9Rehab

Post by K9Rehab »

Update on this case! Focused on progressive shoulder strengthening and return to activity over a period of about 8 to 12 - owner is a vet tech and she was very compliant with the plan. Dog has now returned to full function, trail running off leash with no visible limitations.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Woo hoo! Way to go!

And thank you for the updates. I know that I enjoy learning what happened / how things worked out!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES