Strange Gait

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Strange Gait

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie!

I have been trying to post this video to the forum for 2 hours and for sanity preservation, I am going to email you instead. Hope that is ok. This is an 8 yr old f/s golden that has had weak pelvic limbs and this narrow gait for at least 2 years. At times, I can ilicit pain along SI joint but not consistently. She rarely complains about anything. When she is going fast, she will swing her left rear out then in and has very little exercise endurance. Laser and pelvic limb strengthening has not seemed overly effective. Any thoughts on what direction to head given her gait? Also, she is missing her right eye.

Gratefully,
Missi
(PS: on my list of things to do is to see why I can no longer post videos)

PPS: Love the forum

Video link: https://youtu.be/w77YqqMAeJo
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Strange Gait

Post by lehughes »

Hi Missi,

So, I would just ask more questions:
[*]What do you know about the hips? (Could this be hip laxity or now OA)
[*]Try 'wobbling' the calcaneus and compare from side to side... does one side have more excursion than the other? (Could be a tear of a short collateral ligament) While you're at it, check the long collateral ligaments as well (standard 'gapping' test).
[*]Check the neck? Are you seeing any scuffing? (The video doesn't look neurologic to me, but always good to check)
[*]Check extensibility of the semitendinosis & semimembranosis, & gracilis. While this isn't a typical fibrotic myopathy gait, perhaps an mild extensibility problem (i.e. mild Fibrotic Myopathy) could be causing this.

If I had to pick, I'd say it looks more like a tarsal instability issue. And perhaps a tarsal splint would be worthwhile. But you'll have to do a bit more testing first!

Good luck!
Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES