Palmigrade digit

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Palmigrade digit

Post by lehughes »

A quick question about the significance of a palmigrade digit. We are seeing a two-time TPLO patient (8 year old F lab) and noted that her RTL 3rd digit is completely palmigrade suggesting damage to her superficial flexor tendon. The family notes that the toe has been like that for 1-2 months. It doesn't appear to be affecting her gait. It is not painful with palpation, but she is a stoic, crazy lab. My question is whether you have an opinion about the long-term implications of a digit injury like this? If traumatic and no other digits are impacted, are implications fairly negligible or is there more cause for concern?

Many thanks for your time and guidance,
Stacy McVicker, DVM
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Palmigrade digit

Post by lehughes »

Hi Stacey,

So, I don't find too much impact with only one or two palmigrade digits. I've seen some dogs with more or even all toes! I do warn owners that it could contribute to toe arthritis (likely the in the other toes) later in life, but that it's not much to worry about. The ones with multiple digits (especially 3 or all 4), I think they may need to watch for arthritis, proactively put the dog on a nutriceutical (wouldn't hurt for a single digit either then), refrain from any jumping, perhaps consider cushioned boots for walks on uneven ground and/or stick to softer ground for walks.

That's MY take anyways, but I'll post it to the forum to see if others have found additional correlations!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES