Prolotherapy

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Prolotherapy

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,

I was wondering whether you had any information on Prolotherapy? The Practice Manager where I work is interested in it for her dog and our Vet is looking into it.
Have you seen/heard/treated any dogs post prolotherapy and would you have any published studies regarding the treatment? We are based in Queensland Australia and we are uncertain that anyone does it here….

Kind regards,

S

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Prolotherapy

Post by lehughes »

Hi Sarah,

So, the term prolotherapy in veterinary medicine is not what I was used to it being in human medicine.
In human medicine we would call prolotherapy an injection of a dextrose solution into a ligament with the goal to irritate the tissues, create scar tissue, and tighten up a joint.
To the best of my knowledge, this isn’t being done in the animal world.
I am seeing the term prolotherapy being loosely used for PRP injection… and for that, it depends on the target tissue.
I’ll post in on the FourLeg Forum… perhaps I am ‘behind the times’, and others may have more info.
Alternately, if you can be more specific, maybe I can actually be of assistance as well! ;)

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

David Lane

Post by David Lane »

I've also found the nomenclature confusing.

Re: the dextrose... apparently it is used in the racing world as a treatment for phalangeal collateral ligament tears. I have no direct experience with that, but admit to being digit dextrose curious.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

Arlana

Post by Arlana »

There is a vet in my area that does Prolotherapy (the dextrose injection) and she has used it in the past for CCL partial tears. One of my clients has seen this vet and she is recommending prolotherapy for MSI. Is there any more information that has come forth in the vet world on prolotherapy and specifically in cases of MSI? My client is very reluctant to go this route but is still nevertheless, considering it.

Thanks....Arlana

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

None that I've heard!!!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

David Lane

Post by David Lane »

Me neither.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

Vetgal83

Post by Vetgal83 »

I see that this is an older post but any new updates on Prolotherapy? A certified canine message therapist in town asked me if I am going to do it and I don't know what it is. I do plan on offering PRP once my clientele gets more robust. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Where are you located Vetgal83?

My answer is 'no... I've not heard of much yet.' But I did watch a cool FB live interview with a South African vet that was doing it, and one of the respondents in this e-mail trail is in the interior of British Columbia.
Maybe I could direct you to someone to contact...

Laurie

PS Hey group... who knows vets doing PROLOTHERAPY (i.e. injection of a dextrose solution into a soft tissue structure to spark and inflammatory reaction)??
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Vetgal83

Post by Vetgal83 »

I’m in Florida. There is a certified canine message therapist I know and she asked me if I was going to do Prolotherapy. I am all for validated therapy but I can’t really find anything on it. Thanks!