Feline cruciate ligament disease

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
bertdvm

Feline cruciate ligament disease

Post by bertdvm »

Good afternoon
I have a 13 year old cat with an ACL tear. There is normal range of motion in flexion and extension, a palpable medial buttress, minimal, if any, joint effusion but a visible gait disturbance (as well as you can assess gait in a cat in the exam room). Very significant cranial drawer on palpation, the other side is stable.
Any input on conservative management on cats???

I started her on meloxicam and cosequin and have consulted with my surgeon on a lateral suture repair but I"m a bit reluctant on an older cat to recommend surgery due to the fact that it will be harder to limit the cat's activity post op than it will to utilize the cats normal activity into an exercise protocol.

thoughts??
(please help) :?

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Feline cruciate ligament disease

Post by lehughes »

Hey Bert,
Thanks for posting! I was hoping that others would joint in. So, I have seen a handful of cats with CCL tears. So my thoughts:

[*] I have seen cats with post-op extracapsular CCL repairs. My concern would be LESS about limiting / controlling them post op, and more about getting them to exercise or use the limb appropriately at all.
[*] But it's totally a your call (as the vet) to determine health in regards to putting the cat under anaesthetic to do the surgery.
[*] I would be willing to bet that you can conservatively manage this cat. Getting them to exercise & use the leg is the hardest thing with a cat. A land treadmill or UWT could help with this, and the owners may need to be creative about getting the cat to move...
Maybe small meals in several different areas of the house...
Maybe pick up the cat and take it to different corners of the house away from it's 'regular spot'...
Maybe cat toys / laser / something fuzzy on the end of a stick to chase...

To be honest, I think you can work with this cat either way. Keep us posted!

Cheers,
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Kay Webb

Post by Kay Webb »

Hello, Less of a solution more another question I'm afraid. Does anyone make custom made braces small enough for cats and how do people find cats tolerate braces if available.

Christie Carlo

Post by Christie Carlo »

I was thinking the same thing. We have done several extracap cruciate repairs on cats. I usually ask the owner to keep them in a bathroom or small room to minimize excess activity. I then encourage the owner to do activities like ask the cat to walk toward food (not leaving it out all the time), lovin on the stairs (starting low such as on the owner's knees while sitting cross-legged on the floor), and cookies to the side (again with a bit of tuna and some tummy tickles). With good pain control and joint supplements these cats seem to do very well. Laser therapy, gentle PROM, and acu/chiro are also encouraged.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

So I sent off a quick e-mail to Ben Belcha from Hero (because I knew he'd get back to me quickly!), and he had the following to say:

"Generally, I suggest that you make sure the cat will tolerate something attached to their leg before you make the investment in a custom brace. We would all hate to invest the time and money only to find you bought a coffee table talking piece.

To test this, I send a neoprene wrap. If the cat does not tolerate it, we have our no answer.

If they do, we can brace. I always caution owners that smaller animals = tougher to fit the first time. There could be an adjustment or two. Lower expectations and you are a rock star when you get a good fit out of the box.

Thanks for thinking of me!"

I think this makes good sense before going down the path of a brace as well! Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES