Partial cruciate & bracing

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Partial cruciate & bracing

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,

I hope you are enjoying your vacation in Hawaii, you really deserve it.

I have a question regarding conservative cruciate rehab, do you put a brace to do exercises to all your cruciate? They are referring a partial cruciate to me this week, I was wondering if I will need a brace.

I cannot make it to STAAR this year, I just opened my place and need the money. I am going to try to go to your Advance Spine in October, I really want to do that course.

Thank you for being there! :D

Roxana Caraballo
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Partial cruciate & bracing

Post by lehughes »

Hi Roxana,
So, I think it is important to offer clients choices.
As far as a partial tear goes. If the cranial-medial band is gone, and the caudolateral band is the only part of the CCL hanging on / holding it together (i.e. there is a drawer in flexion but not in extension), then a brace is important - perhaps forever! If there are fibres of the craniomedial band intact (i.e. no drawer in flexion, but variable degrees of pain on testing for drawer), then you can choose to brace or the owners could try to go without a brace but keeping the dog away from any off leash run-abouts. If it's a full tear, then a brace is likely best, however, if the owners can't afford one, then you can go without, and they simply need to be super careful. What kind - most likely Hero, Orthopets, Orthocare, or K9 Orthotics... (pricing may be a concern). We have actually had success with the neoprene ones from Wound Wear (The A-Trac brace) in the past... if the instability is minor, and the dog really just needs some proprioceptive support.
And even if you get the brace, what is MOST important is the strengthening. I've had dogs walk away with the brace, come back 6 months later - owners are happy, dogs looks not too back at a walk, but to measure that let, there was NO appreciable growth. So rehab is CRITICAL, even if they get a brace. They need to do specific exercises. They need to be monitored. The NEED us!
You can still follow a regimen of conservative cruciate management - protocol. (see attached)... and perhaps I could get one of my co-workers to submit the document they created on rehab with a brace! (I'll fire them off an e-mail!)
Good luck!
Mahalo!
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

puppylove

Post by puppylove »

Hi Roxana,
I worked with a Newfie that had a partial tear last year. The client could not afford a brace and with a lot of sit to stands, and rear leg/core strengthening (laser and supplements), he is doing really well. He did have a set back as he walked through some soft sand and the knee was not stable enough so healing was delayed. I feel that the brace can definitely help those cases where clients might not follow the proper restrictions during the healing process.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

I totally agree with the bracing being necessary for those that can't / won't be diligent with restrictions. Thanks for joining in!
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES