Hock OCD- should I do surgery?

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
David Lane

Re: Hock OCD- should I do surgery?

Post by David Lane »

Laser 1st. Ours is humming all day, to the point where even as a single doctor practice with one technician, we are wondering if we need a 2nd laser. In contrast, the ESWT is used once or twice a day.

If you do go laser, my vote is spectravet.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

Kriszty

Post by Kriszty »

Thanks for the reply, David.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but, what can you treat with laser that you cant treat with shockwave? My understanding is shockwave is useful for OA, muscle tears/strains, ligament damage. What extra do you use the laser for ? Or is it that you need to sedate to use the shockwave.. (I sedated my guys, anyway, as it seems to be painful on the hocks).
TIA!

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Only need to sedate with shockwave if you are using focused. Otherwise you don't need to sedate with radial.

Shockwave you'll treat tendon, OA, L-S junction mostly.

Laser - you can treat EVERYTHING. Watch the laser videos on fourleg.
Pain, muscle, tendon, ligament, joint, OA, or other, inflammation, spinal cord injuries, nerve root injuries, ear infection, anal gland infections...

Basically EVERY patient we see gets laser!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

David Lane

Post by David Lane »

More or less the same response as LEH. We use ESWT for connective tissue injury and OA. Every time we ESWT, we laser as well. Laser is used for all mfTP's/muscle pain on top of that, which is detected with virtually every assessment.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

Kriszty

Post by Kriszty »

Thanks for your thoughts!