Torn Stifle MCL

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Torn Stifle MCL

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie

I had a veterinarian contact me today about a patient they want rehabilitation therapy for.  He is a 7 yr MN Labrador Retriever that weighs approximately 70 lbs.  He has rupture his medial collateral ligament in his knee.  His cruciate and patella appear to be fine according to radiographs and their physical exam - I have yet to see him.  

The owners cannot afford surgery and are looking for exercise program alone for him.  I personally have not treated a case like this and would think that the instability would be a big issue as he is currently non weight bearing.  

Just looking to see if you have any experience with medical management of a medial collateral ligament tear in the stifle.

Thanks so much
LR
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Torn Stifle MCL

Post by lehughes »

Okay, so, instability will be the biggest issue - for which I think the owners really should contemplate a brace.  The MCL is pretty important in a dog, and especially for a presumably active labrador.  (For a brace, I recommend Hero - and you get a FourLeg Discount with them.)  That really would be best!

If you can’t get them to buy into that, then I guess you go with building muscle as best you can with slow controlled exercise.
Static balancing, sit to stands (down to a stool or block), Balancing using ‘wobbly equipment’, then slow controlled obstacles, etc…  Slow really will be key.
And then the owners need to know - no off leash parks, no wresting with friends, no ‘zoomie’ runs… EVER!  This ligament won’t grow back.  and to be honest… it’s more problematic than a cruciate tear!

Then of course all the thing you are likely to advise anyways - joint supplements, NSAIDs /  pain management until the joint has fibrosed a bit and doesn’t get flared up on a regular basis.

I hope this helps with your planning!

Good luck!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES