TPLO & Elbow Surgeries - Healing stages

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

TPLO & Elbow Surgeries - Healing stages

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie

What is the time frame for when Stage 1 (Inflammation), Stage 2 (Promotion of Tissue Healing) and Stage 3 (Tissue Remodelling and Strengthening) for TPLO and elbow surgeries begin and end? My current thoughts for joint surgeries are that Stage 1 is roughly day 1-7, that Stage 2 is week 2-5 and Stage 3 is week 6 and beyond. I am just trying to figure out when it is truly safe to promote marked concentric contractions in these cases. I am giving a rehab talk to Edmonton vets next month and I don't want to give them information that they could do harm with. I know how to judge when a pet is ready to move onto the next rehab level, but I'd like to give some wider safer guidelines for regular DVMs.

Thanks so much
Jennifer Stelfox

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: TPLO & Elbow Surgeries - Healing stages

Post by lehughes »

Hi Jennifer,

I think those are fair guidelines… especially for non-rehab vets. I think it’s actually worth scaring them a little bit about messing with something they don’t know much about, and why it’s important to utilize rehab practitioners (and please mention physiotherapists in your talk). As you just said below, you know how to judge when a pet is ready to move onto the next level of rehab. So, perhaps you bring up some things that would make you hesitate to progress a dog.
I think that’s fair! The only other thing you could do is pop in one more stage between 2 & 3. Because that’s where the rehab knowledge is most critical - how do you stage progressions, what makes this exercise harder than that exercise and so on. Just thinking out loud.

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: TPLO & Elbow Surgeries - Healing stages

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie:

I like your idea of putting in another stage. I could called it Stage 2 early stage tissue healing and Stage 2 latter stage tissue healing.
Absolutely will be promoting physiotherapists.
And yes, I will try to warn the attendees to be cautious, so over eager vets don't push their patients when they are not ready, or simply refer to a rehab therapist to get the job done as thoroughly as possible
As always Laurie, a million thanks for all of your help. It is truly appreciated.

Take care
Jen